|Home | Search | Employers | About | Login | Help||Syndicate this!|
|Posted:||June 23, 2022|
|Pay rate:||£42,000 to £52,000 per year|
|Poster represents:||an employer|
|Terms of employment:||Salaried employee|
Would you like to join a small, purposeful and values driven team? We’re SocietyWorks, a friendly and fully remote team delivering expertise to local government and the public sector by developing digital services that help active citizens support flourishing communities — simply, responsibly and cost effectively. We’re looking for developers with some Python and/or Perl experience to join us and help to develop and support the rollout of digital services for highways, environment and the public realm.
SocietyWorks is trusted by local government, public sector and NGO clients in the UK and abroad to deliver commercial products, such as FixMyStreet Pro, WasteWorks and FOIWorks, along with commercial access to our data services and custom development work and consultancy. Profits generated by SocietyWorks are reinvested back into mySociety, our parent charity, where they help support the technology, research and data that is used by individual citizens, journalists, and civil society across the world, openly and for free.
This role is a good match for you if you’re motivated by our goals, interested in working across a range of projects, taking on development and maintenance tasks, and have experience programming in Python and/or Perl, with a willingness to learn one or the other on the job to expand your existing skill set.
This is a fully remote role based in the UK. We have always been a remote organisation and have a comprehensive and welcoming culture in place. Where possible we encourage in person meet ups and organise company wide meetings 3-4 times a year.
No recruiters or agencies, please.
What does the role involve?
* Contributing to the development and continual enhancement of SocietyWorks’ products and services by developing and delivering appropriate features to a high standard
* Developing their own and colleagues’ skills through feedback, code review, pair programming and collaborative design sessions
* Growing and maintaining awareness of internal systems and technical trends in order to make good judgements about which problems to tackle and how
Developers have both coding and communication responsibilities:
* Work with colleagues on technical and functional design of features, identifying problems with requirements
* Produce clean, efficient code that meets our development standards
* Work with clients and partners to establish and document their needs
* Test, deploy and debug programs and systems
* Identify maintenance, security, bugs, fixes and improvements that could be made to existing software
* Support clients and partners in ongoing use of our services
* Work with the team to develop and refine roadmaps
* Prioritise workload effectively
* Create technical documentation
We think this position would suit you best if you have some or all of the following:
* Proficient programming experience in Python and/or Perl in a professional environment
* Experience in working with databases (such as PostgreSQL or MySQL)
* Experience with version control, preferably Git and GitHub
* The ability to write and maintain test suites
* Experience of collaborating with others on web development projects; it would be a bonus if that was client-facing work
And we’d love to hear from you if you are:
* Keen and able to learn
* Friendly and motivated
* Comfortable working within an agile, multidisciplinary team environment
* A thoughtful and clear communicator
* Analytical, with a problem-solving approach
* Able to work in a responsible and self-directed manner, within a broader team
* Good at managing your own time and avoiding distractions
* Aware and realistic about your own strengths and weaknesses
Interested in applying but not sure you have all the skills? Please apply anyway! We support learning on the job and rearranging tasks within the teams to suit the skillsets of the best applicant. Please let us know in your covering letter what your relevant experience is and where you might need to learn as you go.
Apply here: apply.workable.com/mysociety/j/BB5E85...
|Website for more information:||www.mysociety.org|
|Contact information:||Got questions? Drop an email to Yolanda Gomes on firstname.lastname@example.org|