|Home | Search | Employers | About | Login | Help||Syndicate this!|
|Posted:||February 2, 2021|
|Company name:||Cengage Learning|
|Location:||Farmington Hills, MI|
|Poster represents:||an employer|
|Terms of employment:||Salaried employee|
Gale is a Cengage company that partners with librarians and educators around the world to connect learners to essential content through user-friendly technology that enhances experiences and improves learning outcomes.
As a Software Engineer on the Gale Content Conversion Management team, you’ll join a highly collaborative team that helps to bring over 100 Gale print and digital products to life, delivering the content that students and researchers rely on. In this role you’ll provide programming analysis, development and support for processes associated with product generation, data acquisition, migration, and various other content transformations. You’ll also have the opportunity to grow and apply your knowledge as the team and company transform to meet the ever-changing needs of research and educational technology.
* Participate in the design, architecture, and implementation of product requirements.
* Write high-quality software.
* Follow department guidelines for version control of source code.
* Develop and execute tests for all the code you write.
* Build wrapper scripts that allow programs to run automatically or are easily executed by the end user. Provide user-friendly directions, script prompts, error messages and reports as needed.
* Perform root cause analysis and technology evaluation.
* Investigate and solve performance problems, finding ways to scale processes while containing costs.
* Interface with end user to determine programming requirements and provide status updates, explanations and instructions.
* Demonstrate ability to optimally communicate and encourage cross-functional participation in discussions, meetings and communications.
* Help break down and estimate tasks and meet agreed-upon timelines.
* Demonstrate a continuous improvement approach regarding processes and work standards.
* Foster cooperation and support, and encourage teamwork.
Skills you'll need here:
* Perl experience with the ability to utilize XML-aware modules and XPath.
* Experience with Unix commands and shell scripting.
* Python experience is also strongly preferred.
* Experience with at least one or more of the following: XQuery, XSLT, Schematron and other XML-related tools.
* Experience with common development tools and familiarity with source code control software such as SVN/Git.
* Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
* Creative problem-solving skills and ability to effectively communicate and translate feedback, needs and solutions.
* Must have a strong teamwork orientation.
* Should also be sensitive to cultural differences in interactions with others and in the way work gets done.
* A good work ethic and a strong sense of ownership of the end result.
Education and Experience
* 2+ years professional Perl software development experience, or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field with demonstrable Perl/Python work, or an equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work experience.
|Website for more information:||cengage.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com|
Ben Gregg - email@example.com
Job Location: 27500 Drake Rd, Farmington Hills, MI 48331, USA