|Home | Search | Employers | About | Login | Help||Syndicate this!|
|Posted:||January 14, 2021|
|Location:||London or remote|
|Poster represents:||an employer|
|Terms of employment:||Salaried employee|
Hiring UK, or Remote +/- 2 hours GMT
Adzuna is a job search engine that lists every job, everywhere. From launch in the UK in 2011, we now have more than 10 million visitors a month and are busy conquering the world from our office in West London, helping millions of people find better, more fulfilling jobs.
We’re looking for a Development Manager with a Perl background to help us make job search better. This is a rare and exciting opportunity to lead a team of developers in the ongoing development and rapid growth of the Adzuna job search engine in one of the UK’s most dynamic and fastest-growing startups.
Our infrastructure is built around industry-standard open-source tools and runs on distributed clusters. You will be a key member of a small, experienced team that oversees all aspects of our operations, ranging from powering our international websites, aggregating jobs from thousands of external sources, to crunching job market data to power our statistics and applying machine learning algorithms to enhance job seekers’ experience.
At Adzuna you will work independently in a fast-moving, low-structure environment where you will have the opportunity to help shape our technical direction and processes as we grow. An appreciation of the ‘DevOps’ movement is essential as we manage and monitor the systems ourselves. You will also need to understand the importance of building structured code that is fast, scalable, reliable and robust.
The types of projects you will work on will include new search features, relevancy and matching algorithms, APIs and ‘big data’ analysis, reporting tools and features to enhance the job search experience on Adzuna. Our systems have been built to scale, and you will be able to demonstrate your experience in writing scalable code running in distributed environments.
Reporting to the Head of Technology, in your role you will be responsible for managing a team of junior developers. This key role will ensure that our people learn and develop skills according to Adzuna and industry best practice, helping to shape and mould them into our tech team of the future. In addition to line management responsibilities you will be a technical lead within this group of developers, aiding them with architectural and design decisions across a range of projects.
We offer a fun and supportive working environment, with an emphasis on team-working, mentoring and training. Adzuna is an exciting high-growth business where you can make a huge difference, with a market competitive package including stock options.
We are open to someone either working from our great West London location where you can take advantage of our jam-packed social calendar or working remotely.
In this role you will:
- Partner with other developers and data scientists to improve existing systems and develop new functionality and tools
- Analyse business and technical requirements and develop solutions, taking into account various aspects, such as performance, scalability, ease of maintenance and cost.
- Help refactor existing processes and workflows to improve efficiency
- Participate in R&D of new technology trends and tools
- Manage, mentor and train a team of developers
Reward We offer a competitive financial package which includes a competitive salary, stock options, a contributory pension scheme and Perks at Work.
Wellbeing: We take the wellbeing of our employees seriously and have taken every step possible to protect the health and wellbeing of our people during COVID-19. Amongst other things, we offer healthcare through Babylon Health, access to free counselling and a programme of wellbeing activities and events. We have a flexible working policy and during COVID-19, for the foreseeable, no one is expected back in the office unless they choose to attend. We also run regular wellbeing workshops, offer enhanced maternity and paternity leave because we welcome people with families, and 25 days paid holiday per year
Training: Through our Adzuna Academy training programme, attending (virtual) conferences, team training budgets, individual development plans and coaching from experienced and supportive peers and managers.
Fun stuff: An environment that is thoughtfully designed to allow for work and play including (when we’re not restricted by COVID-19) a roof terrace, bar and table tennis. We have a packed social calendar, twice-annual global team get-togethers and an enviable culture thanks to the amazing and smart people who make Adzuna a great place to work. Much of this is all done remotely at the moment of course - even during COVID-19 we are still managing to have a lot of fun ‘together’ thanks to our great Social Committee.
- 5+ years with high-volume/high-traffic applications/sites
- 3+ years of development management experience
- Excellent Object-Oriented Perl, preferably including Moose
- Strong SQL (ideally MySQL) and DBIx::Class
- Experience with unit and functional testing (Test::More etc.)
- Good experience with Unix/Linux
- Version control systems, ideally Git
- Solid understanding of application data flow and lifecycles
- Strong attention to detail
- Comfortable working with a distributed and remote team
Useful extra skills / experience:
- Solr, Lucene, ElasticSearch or another search engine
- Templating frameworks (ideally Template Toolkit)
- Classified ads / vertical search websites
- Varnish, nginx, PSGI/Plack, Apache httpd, FastCGI
- Spidering technology
- Search technology and search engine optimisation
- Cloud infrastructure and tools (AWS preferred)
- Chef (pref), Puppet or an equivalent
- Gearman or other distributed queueing/messaging frameworks
- Unicode and internationalisation
- Machine learning / neural nets
|Website for more information:||www.adzuna.co.uk|